Sep 30, 2018

Different walnuts, different shades of ink

I wanted to find out what the difference in color and consistency would be with a batch of English walnut hulls.  I gathered fresh hulls from a dozen nuts and simmer them in four cups of distilled water.  Before I had used just tap water, and it worked fine, but I've read that you can get more consistent results with distilled water.  I've tried a few things with tap water than I'll talk about in another post.

So after simmering the hulls for 4 hours and reducing the liquid to half, I removed the hulls and continued to simmer and reduce it to one cup.  Its much thinner than the black walnut ink, but its a beautiful, much lighter color.  I think this would be better suited to a watercolor wash than dipping ink.




For now I'm going to concentrate on just black and butternut.  I have found no real benefit to separating the two from each other, but combining them makes for a unique and rich ink.

This is another comparison test. 


Batch #1 is the lightest but #2 was very nice.  I called it Sienna just to give it a name other than #2.  I called #3 Mahogany and its my favorite.  Its got a very rich, almost sludgy consistency that lends itself well to dipping pens.  #4 is a store-bought spray I purchased to compare mine to.  Its very thin, but of course it would need to be to work in a spray bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment