Aug 20, 2014

Squirrrrel!!

We have a squirrel problem.  Our 100 year old home foundation is stone and mortar and is being hollowed out by a group of squirrels using it as their storage facility.  So we're taking matters into our own hands.  They have to go.

Hubby and I were pretty sure one died under there because he started smelling something that wasn't right and the flies were getting a little out of control.  Sure enough, each day the smell got worse and the flies were multiplying.  Fortunately for me, I didn't smell a thing.  I lost my sense of smell about 14 years ago when early signs of Parkinson's started showing up.

So guess who was nominated to go in after it?  I guess it makes sense.  I searched in the root cellar for a while in all the tunnels they've been digging.  Something smelled though.  Ewwwwwwwww.  Something's getting through!  If you haven't smelled a dead animal before, imagine rotten, oozing potatoes times ten.  Gross.  I won't go into details, but I found him outside in the hole he had dug.  He was stuck good!  Armed with rubber gloves and a pair of tongs, I finally got him out.

This smell thing is a blessing and a curse.  Blessing because I usually can't smell farts, but when I do smell something bad, it hangs around for hours.  I can't smell the wonderful aroma of good food, but I can taste it.  Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. I've been jumping thru hoops to get a comment accepted via google. Not a pretty sight, for someone, my age, in my condition. I love your blog.
    Anne Marcel, squirrels talk to each other! I do approve of knowing how to use a gun well, though. Suppose you use a lonnng legnth of pvc, put it next to a hole near your foundation. Use a cat trap at the end with squirrel food. Tates Rents offers them here as we have 65,000 feral cats in our little city. People think the cat they see belongs to the neighbors. Not even.. And they are multiplying like feral cats do. Or with your ingenuity, you could build your own trap. then take it to the forest, (do you have forests?), give it a running start and then shoot it. Those living under your foundation will not be the wiser. Do not let it run back to sound the alarm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! We have a live trap that hasn't caught anything yet. Does the PVC camouflage the trap?

      Delete