Sep 30, 2018

My first try at ink


Since I'm trying to work out the best way to make ink, I'm going to try a few things and compare the results.  So I'm putting on my proverbial lab coat...

Related image



Sept. 4, 2018:  I took roughly four cups of fresh walnut hulls (a mixture of black and butternut) and simmered them for six hours in a pot with enough water to cover them.  I strained the hulls with muslin and simmered again for six more hours and then let it sit overnight with a few pieces of rusted iron. (#3)

Sept. 8, 2018:  This batch was made with fresh hulls again that I soaked in a bucket of water for 24 hours which was then simmered and reduced. (#2)

Sept. 12, 2018:  Just for fun, I wanted to see what the difference in quality would be if I soaked old crusty nuts that have been lying around for a season, I followed the same process with the second batch. (#1)




If you notice the numbering is off (batch #1 is labeled #3) try not to stress.  I made a mistake when I was writing things down and labeled it wrong.  By the time I realized, I had it recorded in too many placed and decided to just run with it.  Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment