Nov 13, 2010

I love poached eggs.

Making them the "right" way always seemed so intimidating though.  My idea of poaching was to use a little metal custard-like cup sprayed with Pam that was placed in simmering water.  It was good, but I've always been intrigued by poaching an egg by plopping it right into the water.

But you know what?  It's not that hard.  I looked around for a few websites that explained it and always came away scratching my head, until I found one that made sense.  I wish I knew which one it was so I could give him credit.

The trick is using a little vinegar.  Something about vinegar holds the protein together so the egg doesn't turn into egg drop soup.  I'm not a chemist so I couldn't even start to explain why it works.  I personally can't taste the vinegar, but two of my daughters said they didn't care for it.  I guess it's like my mom trying to convince me that I really couldn't taste the difference between real milk and powdered milk.  (Like I'm so sure.  Powdered milk was gross when I was 15.  Now that I'm older its not that bad).

But I digress...I made poached eggs this morning and thought it would be interesting to take some pictures.

Start with a medium sauce pan and about 3" of water, 1-3 teaspoons white vinegar (I used cider vinegar) and 1 teaspoon of salt.  Crack your egg into a custard cup or small bowl and set it aside.



Bring the water to a boil and then turn the heat off but don't remove the pan.




Dip the cup with the egg into the water just enough to let a little of the hot water in with the egg then gently tip the egg into the water.




Please ignore the old pot.  I've been using this thing for 28 years and its been burned and boiled dry but its still one of my favorites.




Cover the pot and set the timer for three minutes, unless you don't like runny eggs.  Leave it in a few minutes longer if you want them firmer.




This is my egg at three minutes.




Remove it with a slotted spoon and drain it as much as you can.




Serve on toast or an english muffin.




Cut up with pepper...




Yummy!




I love to cook.



No comments:

Post a Comment