Jun 23, 2011

Drive

I love this song.  I like the tune and the harmony but I never actually listened to the words until I was plugged into my iPod one night while drifting off to sleep.  It brought me to tears.  I could really relate to the message.  I must have been feeling small and insecure at the time because it really had an impact on me.  Now I don't just love this song, I embrace it.


How many of you, like me, sometimes drifted with the wind without taking much thought to where it was blowing?  There have been times in my life that I look back on with regret because I didn't stand up for myself or voice my opinion when I should have.  Or I've said something that was taken the wrong way and someone was offended.


When I was younger, I didn't always have the courage to live life on my own terms.  I would let fear drive me into a "safe" place, when I should have been brave enough to "take the wheel and steer".  But I also realize that all of my experiences have brought me to this point in my life and have made me who I am.  So at the same time I'm grateful for all of the memories that I don't enjoy remembering.  


This song gives me courage to be my own person and not be afraid of following the beat of my own drummer.


Drive by Incubus


Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear
And I can't help but ask myself how much I let the fear
Take the wheel and steer
It's driven me before
And it seems to have a vague, haunting mass appeal
But lately I'm beginning to find that I
Should be the one behind the wheel

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there
With open arms and open eyes yeah

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there
I'll be there

So if I decide to waiver my chance to be one of the hive
Will I choose water over wine and hold my own and drive?
It's driven me before
And it seems to be the way that everyone else gets around
But lately I'm beginning to find that
When I drive myself my light is found

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there
With open arms and open eyes yeah

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there
I'll be there

Would you choose water over wine
Hold the wheel and drive

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there
With open arms and open eyes yeah

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there
I'll be there






Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.  ~Judy Garland

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.  ~e.e. cumming

There is just one life for each of us:  our own.  ~Euripides

If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise.  ~Johann von Goethe

Wherever you go, go with all your heart.  ~Confucius

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  ~Dr. Seuss

Like the sky opens after a rainy day we must open to ourselves.... Learn to love yourself for who you are and open so the world can see you shine.  ~James Poland

You were born an original.  Don't die a copy.  ~John Mason

Why try to be someone you're not?  Life is hard enough without adding impersonation to the skills required.  ~Robert Brault

I was once afraid of people saying, "Who does she think she is?" Now I have the courage to stand and say, "This is who I am."  ~Oprah Winfrey

I started to repeat to myself "If I'm not where I want to be, it's because I'm not good enough... yet." Which meant it was up to me.  ~Sally Field



2 comments:

  1. Marcie, this is great!! I'm going to copy some of it for one of my daughters. Hope that is okay. I'm so glad that I knew a "young" you and that I get to reconnect with the "driver." =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerri! What were you doing at 4:40 am??? :-)

    ReplyDelete